Monday, March 30, 2009

Daddy Oh's new car

Upon returning from my island vacation, I came home to Seattle o find out my dad had crashed his car. On the day I left, he ran into a lady on an unfamiliar freeway and totaled his 1999 Mazda 626. Before I saw the car, I asked if he was hurt at all and how he felt. His simple response was, "Yes, I am fine. Nothing wrong."

For a car that was going to be considered totaled, I was shocked that he had not been hurt. We had to go to the collision center to retrieve the tires off the car and when I saw the car, I could not believe that he was perfectly fine.

Me: Dad, you didn't tell me the airbags depoloyed.
Dad: Oh yes. Ha ha! I was very surprised. All of sudden, in my face!
Me: The car looks horrible dad. Are you sure you're ok?
Dad: Ha, ha! Car is very damaged. I am ok. At that time, when I put the brakes very hard, I thought myself, oh zee (Daddy Oh equivalent to "Oh geez") this is big problem.
Me: Dad...

The side angle of the car shows the true damage and it is still amazing to me that he is perfectly fine. My dad...honestly.

So, for the rest of the weekend, I spent two days wheeling and dealing with car salesmen to buy my dad a new car. I will tell you, I hate the process. But thanks to Kyle's help and dad's sweet charm, we ended up getting an awesome deal on a Certified Used Honda Accord with low miles. It is such a pretty car...


While test driving one of the cars, my dad had been asking all kinds of questions, mostly along the lines of, "What this button does?" "Is their cooling system (A/C)?" After the test drive, we went in to the dealership and sat down across from the salesman. The guy was going through his files and looking for a certain document and just in his frustration, he said, "Looks like someone jacked my price sheet."

And my dad asked, "What is jack?"

It was really funny at the time.

3 comments:

catharooni said...

poor daddy oh!!! poor moh when she saw the car - it made my stomach drop!

and, finally, nice wheels, daddy oh!!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

thankfully we found something that would work for him!

Kim said...

i love your daddy-oh stories! they always make me giggle! glad he's perfectly fine.