Monday, June 15, 2009

Freakish M&Ms

I don't know if you've seen these before, maybe they are just a Eugene special, but I tried these Strawberried-Peanut Butter M&Ms the other day and in not so many words, they are barfy.


To describe the taste, it is an oddly confusing mixture of fruit and peanut. Now, I kind of get it. PB & J right? Oh how clever. But, it doesn't work. I don't mind a mild sensation of confusion every once in a while, but this taste test was just completely perplexing. At first, it's a whole lot of strawberry. And then it's all peanut butter, but when it's said and done, it's mostly just nonsense.

What is it with candy companies getting overly creative? I mean, I know, from my business school vocab, "product extension", "product expansion", "product line diversification". But really, is M&M a product that needs any sort of diversification? Its three strongest products, Plain, Peanut, and Peanut Butter, are on the top 10 list of best-selling candies. They have a good thing going! No need to mar their reputation by adding fruit to the mix! I mean, it's not like there is a hugely competitive peanut butter and fruit-flavored candy market out there. When you got a good thing going, stick to it.

Considering what it takes to get a product from concept to store shelf, it is amazing to me how a strawberried-peanut butter products get the green light. Among the other products that really don't belong within reach of consumers:

- popcorn-flavored Jelly Belly's
- fish-flavored candies
- booger candy

There are a lot of better examples at good candies gone wrong but I can't think of any. If you have some, do share.

Bottom line: avoid the disappointment, deny the intrigue, stay away from this M&M mutant and stick to the M&M product you love.

7 comments:

Emily said...

i haven't seen those and it seems like something I would try. I wonder if eugene is one of those "product testing" locales that companies test their product in before a wide roll out?

PlusOne said...

Ugh. Jennie and I saw those at the rite aid in culver city. I almost thought they were a joke. And I'm sorry I am totally defending the popcorn jellybellies. And if Eva wasn't off in Thailand she would SO back me up.

dana said...

Okay, that sounds completely discusting. Thank you for trying for the rest of us!

dana said...

and yes, I like popcorn jellybellies too.

catharooni said...

my contribution ... doing everything you already do but with DARK CHOCOLATE! or CARAMEL! or ORANGE! seriously? an orange flavoured kit kat actually sounds good to me, but in reality, it was lame excuse for a kit kat and for orange flavour ...

Courtney said...

I am totally with you on the popcorn-flavored Jelly Bellies. If I ever happen to accidently eat one of those nasty little suckers, it makes me literally gag.

Worst candy invention ever.

sarahz said...

i totally agree my mom bought them when i was home last week- barfy. but i couldn't stop eating them, trying to figure out what was going on. I'll stand by peanut M&M's as one of the best candies invented.