Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Modern Life

I love my new apt. It is a cute brick building. Wood floors. Big kitchen. Big bedroom. Lots of space all around. And super close to campus. It's an older building and with that, comes the absence of some of life's little luxuries, although now in these modern times, these items wouldn't really be considered luxuries, but rather, basic necessities.

While much of the apartment has been upgraded, two little features I have become accustomed to are: a garbage disposal and a dishwasher.

When I signed the lease, I was very aware that these two amenities were not included in the apartment, but, just as I had thought I could live without a washer/dryer way back when, I mistakenly assumed the same thinking I could do without these two luxuries this time around.

Such an absence has burdened me much. Now when cooking, I have to remember that anything I dump into the sink, I eventually have to fish out with my hand. And while I used to enjoy washing the occasional cup and bowl, it's inconsequential compared to washing ALL of the cups, bowls, plates, pots, pans and utensils, ALL of the time! Washing a lot of forks individually blows.

I realize that it may sound as though I am complaining, which is why I propose this challenge so you too, can feel my pain.

For one week, assume everyday business in your kitchen, except that you do not have a disposal nor a dishwasher. Experience for yourself the difficulties so many endured before the dawn of modern kitchen appliantry. I am certain that you, as have I, will learn quickly how fortunate we are to live in this day and age where we don't have to pull mushy scraps and leftover yuck out of the kitchen drain regularly and where dish-pan hands are a thing of the past. Then, you will be grateful.

It is times like this where I anger at the thought of my mom who continues to use her brand new, state-of-the-art, dishwasher only as a drying rack and still covers the drain of the In-Sink-Erator to catch food and other debris. Grrr...

7 comments:

dana said...

haha. We've lived without a garbage disposal or a dishwasher for 3 years (and 2 kids) until last month. It's not that bad. In fact, now I don't think my dishwasher gets our dishes all that clean. So I'm not going to gush yet about having a dishwasher...but I DO appreciate finally having a disposal again. It was just gross having a little net catch all the food and then giving it a whack in the trash can to get all the junk out.

btw, LOVE your apartment bldg. Beautiful architecture.

Miriam Oh Painter said...

Yeah. The building is super cute and the owner keeps it up really nice. New windows! This area is like Provo, lots of older buildings that are super cute, but just need TLC.

About the trash can wack: my mom used to fill up an old milk carton with that crap. It would sit there for a week until it got full. So gross.

dana said...

okay, that is totally gross about the milk carton. Ew. I'm glad I never resulted to that.

I'm glad you have new windows! That's usually the downside to an old place, no insulation. Sounds like a great find!

catharooni said...

i miss the in-sink-erator more than i can express. hardly anyone has them here. *sigh*

i rarely use dishwashers even when i have them (unless i have a dinner party er somethin') ... i have one in this house and still prefer washing my hand. it relaxes me,

jd said...

does it count that I lived without both of those for about 3 years total? (When in Austria and in specific LA living abodes?) I don't need to take that challenge. I feel your pain already. And I'm sure that even the pioneers would agree that you shouldn't be expected to live without such normalcies.

Hmm. Is the "use a dishwasher as a drying rack" an ethnic thing? I know some other people who do that... :)

LOVE your brick place though!!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

I completely agree JDoze. I always thought of it as an ethnic thing, but it is a great idea so I believe it could be anyone's habit!

koodeker said...

miriam,
oh you have NO idea. i too will be joining the ranks of life without dishwasher & disposal after having it my ENTIRE life. we bought another house and we're moving into it. WHILE we're demolishing it. save me.