Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dress nonsense

Once a boss, always a boss. By demand of my former boss, Laura, from KBYU-TV way back in the day, I'm following orders and posting pics of my dresses to let you all help me make my decision. I can't believe I'm actually doing it since 1) pics don't do the dresses justice, 2) I'm the poster child of "not photogenic", 3) I don't to like to pose for pictures and just to throw a fourth reason into the mix, this is dumb and embarrassing.

But seeing as everyone will get a good kick out of this, I'll play along.

So below are my four dresses. Make that three. Kyle already helped me eliminate dress #1. The cheapest of them all. He calls it my pirate dress. 'Nuff said.

Dresses 2-4 are below with respective pros and cons. Kyle and I chose the same one in deciding which one liked the best. What do you think?

Criteria:
Event description: Mom's 70th birthday party in which lots of her friends will be there
Dress purpose: To make Miriam look pretty
Dress parameters: Classy, not slutty. Flattering, not frumpy. Feminine, not masculine.

1) Plum Dress

Pros: slim-fitting, classy, cool wrap around tie and actually is flattering to my chestal region
Cons: gotta wear a shrug, for some obvious reasons















2) Black dress

Pros: Don't have to wear a shrug, slim-fitting, flattering, classy, fun gather on the side
Cons: Weird shoulder pads, boring















3) Designy dress
Pros: Fun design, not plain black, fun style
Cons: Some alterations need to be done in the back, design may be considered "loud", my mom might accuse me of looking like a zebra

When making your decision, please ignore the shoes, those are just for the height.

Additionally, I am taking suggestions for shoes and accessories. The less thinking I have to do, the happier I'll be. When making suggestions, please use simple terms and words to facilitate descriptions.

Thanks everyone. Enjoy.

20 comments:

dana said...

haha. totally remember Laura! I think. Dark brown hair? Was semi-short-ish at the time (her hair).

anyway, I vote for the purple. Looks very high-style and I like the shrug with it.

No to the zebra dress. Looks to "young"

sarahz said...

Purple

Denise said...

I third their vote. no doubt about it. miriam, you are so so funny. i miss reading your blog, I need to come back more frequently

Erika said...

purple purple purple!!!
You're hot!!! :-)
my friend sells really nice jewlery...http://www.julesvance.com/

Erin said...

I like the purple as well, Miriam.

And may I say your hilarious mom deserves an awesome bash. Your family is so wonderful.

Miriam Oh Painter said...

Looks like purple is in the lead! almost too obvious...

as for Laura, she is VERY tall. Tahitian. Curly blonde hair. Awesome.

And definitely, my mom deserves the bash and she deserves a pretty daughter in a pretty dress.

koodeker said...

Miriam my vote is black, it's classis & you can't go wrong. Shrugs are out and so mormony looking.
Wear the black with a chunky necklace & fun heels. Maybe purple heels. :)
either way you'll look beautimous.

Allison Hansen said...

Purple. Duh. You're totally rocking it.

Although, the black dress has a lot of fun potential. take out the shoulder pads pronto and do some magic with awesome accessories. I imagine a chunky beaded necklace (ala j crew) and bright satin ruffled heels (check Nordstrom).

rachel thurston said...

Can you take the shoulder pads out? If so, I am kind of liking black. You could wear a really colorful pair of heels and fun earrings. With the purple I feel like your accessories would have to be toned down. No Bueno.
LA misses you!

dcr said...

hi miriam. since i think i've only ever seen you in bike shorts, they all look great. i think the black dress is absolutely stunning on you but i can't see the weird shoulder pads you describe.

one other pro that you didn't note is that you can wear this dress to any event, for many years. so just think of all the future shopping you've eliminated.

and it really does look lovely.

as far as dressing it up, as long as you wear sparkly or chunky jewlery, you're good. and you could even let your mother pick it out. you will likely hate it but whatever, it won't kill you.

i'd love to ride with you again! let me know when you're in town.

mrs. said...

though i like zebras, i've never worn one to a birthday bash.

I vote for black - classic and you look hot. Lose the shoulder pads. Wear some sassy colored heels.

Julia Kelly said...

Really like the black dress. You could really have fun with the accessories and shoes. And yes, take the shoulder pads out...
Everyone need a little black dress in their closet.

Stacy said...

I vote black, but agree you need to lose the shoulder pads and add some color with accessories!

Emily said...

i say no to purple actually i like the black and then you can totally dress it up - I don't do many accessories but found a cool website for cheap ones: www.sammoon.com and you might find some ideas there. i agree zebra dress looks too young.

Laura said...

I'm assuming since the whole voting thing was my idea that my vote counts for more, right?
Anyway, I vote for the black one--very classic plus you can't go wrong with a LBD (little black dress) And you can dress it up with super fun accesories.

PS--KBYU misses you :)

PlusOne said...

I say you go with the black.. add in BIGGER shoulder pads and in lieu of an accessory I say you get a heart shaped tattoo with MOM in it.. classy, understated and always in style.

Heather & James said...

I gotta go with black for the big bash. And accesorize to make it more Moh. I think the shrug should stay at home. Save that for Kyle. :)

Lindsay RC Wilson said...

Personally, I'm liking the black dress (minus shoulder pads if possible, but they aren't horrible, and they are supposedly coming back into style, hence why it is being sold like that). I am a fan of black in general because finding accessories is easier (everything goes with black) and you can spill food all over yourself and won't see it. Trust me...wore black on my mission all the time and never saw the spaghetti sauce that I got on me all the time. Of course if you aren't a messy eater like I happen to be, this might not be a concern. I like the purple, but I have had awkward experiences with necessary shrugs or boleros and people wanting to get a peak at what the dress looks like on its own. And, if it is cooler, you can wear a jacket/cardigan but if it is warm, you aren't stuck with wearing the extra.

the Rew Crew said...

Miriam--on the shoes I'd totally go wedge heel, pointy too. Good look for you! And the purple looks good but...if I know you then I'd say you are going to HATE wearing a shrug. Good luck!

Erin said...

Black.