Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Babysitting

I am going home to Seattle this weekend to babysit Kimball and Mia while Erik and Denise are away at a wedding in California. My specific duty this weekend is to tend to the children.

Now, I have no problem with children. In fact, I love my niece and nephew more than anything on this planet. But, the challenge I face every time I go home is making the transition from singledom to childrendom.

If you think about it, I live every day of my life thinking of me and only me. I do whatever I want, whenever I want. I set my own schedule, I do or do not as I please and I don't have to answer or report to anybody.

Now, whenever I visit my niece and nephew, I enter a home occupied by children and it is always a transition. All of a sudden I have responsibilities. I need to help tend to the children. I should get up early to see that they are well. I need to put down my computer and play with them. And suddenly, my world is not my own any more, but theirs.

In no way am I complaining, all I'm saying, is, it's a transition. It's a change that I have to adapt to every time I see them. And I will say, they usually tire me out pretty quick. Kids are very demanding!

So this weekend, Denise has somehow deduced that I will be able to handle the children for a few days. I suppose if she believes in me, I should believe in me. I mean, they're just kids right? Although, sometimes I look at them and think, "They're like a big bear. All fluffy and soft. Then before you know, it's eating you alive."

I'm putting out the call to all you experienced children-watchers out there. Kimball is full of energy and Mia is mischievous. The last thing I want to do is to be sitting around being bored.

So here's my inquiry: What do you with kids?

Sometimes, I just don't have a clue what to do with them. So, I ask you to please respond with your ideas and thoughts on what we can all do together to stay busy in and out of the house. I apologize in advance as I will not likely take seriously any ideas related "crafts" as I don't really like crafts and I find that crafts just means: big mess to clean up.

Taking suggestions now...

4 comments:

Cabinessa said...

Go City Kids (it may also be called Parents Connect) has great ideas for activities in your area. Biggest suggestion: whatever you do, go prepared. Have a backpack packed with solutions for every worst case scenario: snacks, drinks, babas and blankies, diapers and wipes, changes of clothes, toys, and gallon sized ziploc bags. Honestly, MOh, you're going to be fantastic!

catharooni said...

qualification for answering this question: two sisters 13 & 15 yrs younger than me who were often left in my care when they were young. sometimes for entire weekends.

1. play doh in a contained space
2. read books
3. watch shows (you are the aunt and completely allowed to spoil them / rot their brains)
4. parks with swings, etc. or parks with water, etc.
5. colouring
6. walks around the block
7. nonsense games - let your imagination run wild
8. bake cookies
9. lay on the floor and let them use markers to colour all over you. i also used this activity as "naptime for the grown up".
10. call the local YW president and hire replacements.

hmmm ... now that i think about it, maybe #10 should be #1???

have a blast and remember, the selfish single life will be yours again soon!

Jill said...

i completely understand (i took on my 4 nieces/nephews last month.)

all the ideas being shared are great. if it's sunny, go to the park.

one great thing i realized, i don't have to entertain them all of the time. kids have great imaginations and many of them can play by themselves for a long time
.

candyland is cool.

oh, and if you plan on exercising do it in the morning. by the time they're up, you'll be completely awake from your workout.

as for their routines, i found that things like bathing, dressing, feeding, brushing teeth, and putting to bed took longer than i thought they would. for example, i started the bedtime routine like an hour before bed. so operational stuff takes up a lot of time too.

good luck!

the Rew Crew said...

You are the best aunt ever! Can I pencil you in to come to FL? I promise my kids will love you to pieces.

Ok, rules of thumb: (1) never wake a sleeping child (2) put them to bed early and insist they nap each day (or at least take quiet time) so you and they get a break (3) keep your outings short (4) feed/water/change them often.

May the force be with you!