Friday, February 22, 2008

Fly Fishing It

Here's where my blog turns into a travellog. Sorry folks. I realize this will only be interesting to only to some of you. Unless you love anything that has to do with fly fishing or the super rad San Gabriels.

Every year my ward does a service auction to raise money to "give Christmas" to families in the Stake. Last year we raised $14,000 from the generosity of the LA1 and SM3 YSA wards. Pretty amazing if you ask me!

Last weekend, Sarah Zobell and I finally cashed in on an item we bought last year: a fly fishing trip.

We drove up into the San Gabriel Mountains (it's one thing to observe nature, it's another to observe those who are observing nature with you) and spent the day learning to fly fish. I must say, I didn't expect it to be so much work. You are constantly casting, waving your arm back-and-forth, working your wrist, twisting your elbow...it was tiring!

We got a good day in and we had a great teacher!

Those hooks a little but they hurt! Ouchie! Sarah Fishing away. Will she be a pro?


Paul Reeves was our very patient and very knowledgeable instructor!

I look like a pro. For sure.

6 comments:

dana said...

of course this can be a travelogue. It's about whatever the heck you're up to. fly fishing looks...um...fly.
nonono.
cool that you cashed in on the service auction. So few do!

Travis Butterfield said...

I've never been fly fishing, but I've ALWAYS wanted to try it! I'm jealous!

Kim said...

you should've worn a camo hat too. looks chilly but oh so enticing!

f*bomb. said...

I hope you ate your kill.
You monster.

Denise said...

My brother used to correct my form over and over while practicing my fly cast into the pool. Quite frankly, it's my favorite way to go since I freak if I get a fish on a line anyway. Casting is the only fun part about fishing.

Jessica said...

I just found your blog through Dana's... welcome to the crazy world of blogging! I had to comment about your fly fishing extravaganza...

A couple days ago I was driving down Overland and out of the corner of my eye I thought I beheld two girls with a striking resemblance to Sarah and Miriam. Nah... what would they be doing on these side of the tracks?!

It's good to know I wasn't hallucinating!!! :) Looks like you had fun!