Saturday, November 8, 2008

Oh Clocks

Going home is like walking into a time vortex. Literally. I don't know why it is, but my father always had a thing for clocks. In every room, on at least one wall, including the bathrooms, kitchen and garage, somewhere there is a ticking clock.

I grew up with the tick-tock of clocks all around me. Memories of my childhood seem to include a faint ticking sound in the background of all of my thoughts. When I hear the ticking of a clock, I picture myself at home in a room with a clock. The funny thing is, I don't know where he gets these clocks. I have never seen him buy a clock. They are all totally random in style. They are of no particular color or shape. Some clocks I know he has received as complimentary gifts and as schwag, but I just don't really know where they have come from. The clocks just seem to materialize from some unknown origin and are ineviteably hung crooked.

I just get a kick out of all of the random clocks around and the fact that whereever you are in my parent's house, you know exactly what time it is. I suppose that is something to be grateful for.
In addition to the clock fettish, my parents also manage to collect other random objects to add to their household decor. Their style of interior design could be categorized as "unique".

The best addition to the decor is this awesome clock. Not only does it fit the random clock category, but it also meets every standard of their interior design scheme. It is also in the main room of the house in the most prominent position in the house. It is kind of like the featured item.

Every hour, on the hour, the clock chimes. It's not a bird that pops out, it's not a simple church bell ding-dong, it's not just a little beep or ring, but oh so much more. I had to capture it and share it. It is quite awesome. "Killing Me Softly"? Really? (Note: I recorded it sideways by accident. Just imagine it upright.)

Depending on the hour, the clocks also plays "Like A Bridge Over Troubled Waters" as well as a variety of Christmas songs.

Priceless.

3 comments:

Kim said...

oh, my parents have one of those "priceless" treasures too MOH. Let's just say you're kinder than I for calling it priceless. I think my parents plays Unchained Melodies along with a variety of other toons.

AWW--memories!

catharooni said...

OMGoodness! i can honestly say i would have gone INSANE in your home. i can't stand ticking clocks!! i will take the batteries out of them if they are in the same room i am sleeping in ... but i do love having this extra glimpse into the world of moh ...

Miriam Oh Painter said...

Seriously, where do our parents get this stuff?! And i hear you Cath, i can get annoyed by ticking clocks still.