Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Things You Don't See on the BYU Campus

Ever since I started school here in Oregon, I have been meaning to start a regular series of blog posts along the lines of: "Things You Don't See on a BYU campus". But I have been too lazy and too busy to ever get it going. But this week, I am finally getting it started. There have been two things in particular that have prompted me to finally post.

Had I started when first inclined, I would have made mention of a few things, which include:

- really short shorts
- really short skirts
- beards
- long hair on men
- cleavage
- marijuana t-shirt sales tables
- bikes (if you'll remember, anything with wheels was banned from campus except on the roads around campus, which, for a school, always seemed so odd to me. Bicycles just seemed synonymous with college life...)
- Atheist Club

Despite being behind, I am going to make it up right here, right now.

Something you do not see on the BYU campus, in particular, the Daily Universe newspaper, but you do see on the University of Oregon campus, in the Oregon Daily Emerald:


I think the BYU Journalism and Advertising department would prefer take a hit in ad sales for the month, than revert to adult entertainment advertising.

On the other hand, I did see something on campus that one would see at BYU:


This cookie made my day today. My friends didn't get it at all. But any cookie, with Nutrition Information for four servings for one cookie, is worth at least 5-seconds of justifiable freak out time. I found the cookie in the student activity center. I have probably been in that building three times. Once to get my student card, once to pick up Joshua Radin tickets and today, to do stuff for a class project. Finding this cookie was a gold mine! It's hard to find Granny B's cookies anywhere but Utah. I did find them at the corner 7-Eleven on Gateway and Barrington in West LA and that conjured up at least 5-seconds of freak out then. It was awesome.

Anyway, I used to limit myself to one of these cookies a day when a freshman at BYU. At four servings a cookie and six grams of fat per serving, no wonder I weighed 145 lbs. at the end of that year. That's a lot for me considering I weighed about 115 when I graduated from high school. Let's hope I don't repeat...

5 comments:

PlusOne said...

Now all you need is a Harts big gulp to go with that cookie and it would be BYU all over again. Oh those pink cookies.. SO worth a freak out. If only Oregon-ians knew what they have in their midst...

Travis Butterfield said...

Three dollars and 99 cents for that cookie???? HOLY COW. That's ridiculous. I do enjoy a good Granny B's cookie every now and again. As for your list of things you wouldn't see at BYU, I have experienced the same phenomenon here at ASU. It's kind of funny. My favorite, though, is the free condoms. You would NEVER see that at BYU. Ha ha ha ha.

Travis Butterfield said...

oh, wait. upon closer inspection, what I thought was a 3 was actually a 0. Whew. Guess I freaked out for nothing. A four dollar cookie is definitely freak-out-able, though.

catharooni said...

i totally thought it was $3.99 at first, too ... ;o)

i have a deep, deep love/hate relationship with those cookies. i loved them when i first moved to utah! then a few months into my addiction, I SAW THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS. now i hate them with the fire of a thousand suns (kind of the way i hate parmesan cheese ... but not for the same reason at all). limit to one a day?? you are my hero!!

enjoy. and send one to me when you have chance. (grins) ...

the Rew Crew said...

I remember when I never thought I'd weigh more than 112. Those were the days.

And am I the only one who has never heard of these cookies? I lived in Provo for eons and seriously don't think I've ever tried one.

It's going on my to-do list.