Friday, October 1, 2010

Summer's over. The kids are back in school. And you know what that means...

I heard a radio story this morning that started out like this:

Radio announcer: "Summer's over. The kids are back in school. And you know what that means...head lice."

Really? Is that really how those two situations equate?

End of summer + back to school = rampant head lice

C'mon radio announcer, you can't think of a better intro? And why so morbid? I can think of a hundred better outcomes to summer ending and school starting. How about:

- new clothes
- seeing friends again
- new beginnings
- time for parents to work on projects
- wearing snuggly socks again

I mean there are so many possibilities that have nothing to do with head lice, yet, that was the ultimate demise of the story intro. Even a simple, "New news on head lice is changing the way schools are handling the problem" or something like that would be so much more in line with the topic at hand.

I just think there was a better way to begin this story. I came up with some ideas and I think that there are so many more. YOU finish this statement for me:

"Summer's over. The kids are back in school. And you know what that means..."

2 comments:

Stacy said...

His statement is a true one...all you had to do was come in my 1st grade classroom this week.

catharooni said...

head lice USED to be my biggest paranoia-fear-anxiety-inducing-contemplation. but now? now it is BED BUGS!!!

gah!