Monday, October 11, 2010

Mom's Concert

I think that throughout my mom's life, no matter what her situation has been, through the hardest times and the happiest times, the one thing in her life (before Kimball and Mia came along) that has always brought her true joy, has been to sing in front of a crowd.

Every year, she continues to have that opportunity with an organization that she started 31 years ago. The Seattle Washington Korean Music Association performs twice a year at Meany Hall on the University of Washington campus. They put on their performance free of charge and made possible by continuing contributions from members in the Korean community. They have become an institution in the Korean community as they are the only organization that can gather true musical talent into one place and sing for Koreans, songs of the land of the morning calm and remind them of home. One of my favorite parts of the night, is their traditional conclusion in which all of the singers line the stage hand-in-hand and together with the audience, sing the Korean national anthem. It's always such a powerful moment.

For the first time in a long, all of the Oh's were there for the concert.






And of course my mom was amazing. They could have benefited from a little more of a sound check as the orchestra is quite loud, but my mom still sounded amazing. Not to forget she's 70 years old.

2 comments:

Jennifer Lovell said...

What a treat! Both for your family to be all together for the special occasion, as well as for me to get to hear your mom's voice again. I sure would love to meet her and hear her in person someday. Thanks for sharing!

Caro said...

I think this is my favourite aria! Your Mum has a beautiful voice! What a gift!