Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jim Warsaw: There Will Only Be One Warsaw

I first met Jim Warsaw in October of the fall quarter 2008. It was homecoming weekend and I knew he was going to be in the building. I had an idea of what he looked like from pictures I had seen, but it was hard to recognize him when I first ran into him in the halls of the business building.

He was severely hunched over and appeared to have a very difficult time walking. It was hard to believe that this is the man who founded the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center and grew it to become the premier undergraduate and MBA level sports business program in the country. But as I approached him, he looked right at me until he was right in front of me and said a very confident and sincere, "Hello!"

We had a conversation right there in the hall and he was great to talk to. He asked me everything about myself and was genuinely interested in my experience thus far with the Center.

Jim did amazing things for the Center which bears his name. He has always been heavily involved in Center activities and has maintained close contact with its students and faculty. I have watched him with alumni and his friends and it has always impressed me how they treated him. My observations indicated that they respected him not only as a friend but as a mentor and as an example.

Despite the short amount of time that I have known him, I felt like he was my friend. I will miss him.

Jim has been battling Parkinson's disease for the past 15 years. Recently, he developed an infection after surgery on his back. On Wednesday, he passed away. (http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-james-warsaw26-2009apr26,0,6099570.story)

It is sad to see him go so soon. In June we will be celebrating the 15th anniversary of the founding of the Warsaw Center and in particular to honor Jim. We were planning on him being there, but instead, it will be a special evening in tribute to the legacy he leaves behind.

In May we will honor him as well with the 3rd Annual Jog 4 Jim 5k. The race has always been organized to raise awareness and funding for Parkinson's research. To make a donation in honor of Jim, please visit this site: http://www.teamfox.org/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=nrLXJ0PFKuG&b=4815191&sid=agKQLYMwEdKJLYNBJlH

Jim accomplished amazing feats in his life and was a friend to many. He will be missed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too was impressed when I had that brief chat with him in the hall. I feel honored to be a part of the program that bears his name and will do my best to uphold it.

catharooni said...

sorry for your community's loss ... i am so happy to know you were touched by him personally as you are obviously being blessed by his professional efforts and support of education.