Monday, July 21, 2008

The Denke Family

A couple of weekends ago I got together with a good friend of mine from Seattle. Alex (Xander) Denke and his family live in Burbank and since living in LA, we have managed to stay in touch and continue to remain close.

In the last three years, the Denke's have endured trials and tests of faith that most people will never experience.


I don't know all of the details of their history, but in general:

In October of 2006, Alex and Carrie welcomed twin boys Keane and Ethan into their family. The boys were healthy and beautiful and so fun! But only a few months later, one of the boys got sick and after a visit to the hospital, the visits just never seemed to stop.

Shortly there after, the boys were diagnosed with an unusual and rare syndrome called Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, commonly known as HLH. I don't know exact characteristics of the disease, only that treatment includes chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant.

The Denke's initiated a campaign to find a bone marrow match for their boys. In all facets of the Church and donor organizations in Southern California, the hunt was on.

Miraculously, the boys wait ended and they found a donor match and received the transplant. Now almost a year later, the boys are better, but not completely in the clear. But upon our visit, they couldn't have looked happier and more content as little boys. When I walked in the door of their home, little Ethan looked at me from the kitchen and gave me the biggest smile the little guy could muster. It totally melted my heart! I am in love with these boys!


The Denke's have endured so much and you can read their story here on Alex's
blog. But in these last three years of following the boys' progress and staying updated on the Denke family, I have all respect and love for them.


Visiting with them always makes my day better and I leave feeling joyful and positive. For the situation that they find themselves in, Alex and Carrie are the happiest couple I know and continue to share loving and caring concern for each other and their boys. They manage to stay positive and find the joys in life that make life together so precious. They are amazing people.


I am sad to see them leave the SoCal area, but I can only imagine how blessed Seattle will be to have them and little Ethan and Keane there. I wish them the best in their family and continued happiness and joy in their home!

2 comments:

dana said...

Wow. I'm happy to hear an update on their family. I remember the blood/marrow drive we had in Arcadia a while ago for them. I hope they continue to get better!

the Rew Crew said...

Excellent shout out to the Denke clan. I will never (ok, I'll try to never) complain about my little one's again.