Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The LA Report

Since making my list I have found that I now have a purpose in planning my evenings. As I get together with friends in these last few weeks, it is easier to find a destination or an activity for the time we have. And already, I am able to check some items off my list having thoroughly enjoyed the experiences!

My sister has hiked to the Hollywood sign several times, so actually getting there was no problem. But for those who don't know where to start, here's my tip: In any sort of mapping program, type in the intersection: "Beachwood Dr and Hollyridge Dr, Hollywood, CA" and you will find the entrance to the trail there. There isn't much parking, so keep that in mind. Also, go earlier in the day. It gets HOT up there! Here's a link to a detailed description of what turns to make while on the trail/fire road/paved road.

There is a ranch there where people can pay to ride horses through the area.













There are several great spots to take pics of the sign and when you get to the top, you end up above the letters.














Who knew there was a dammed lake in Los Angeles?!


On a clear day you can see in all directions from the top of the Hollywood sign. It was a nice Sunday walk, though a bit smoggy.

Though it is illegal to hike to the actual letters, there was a trail heavily trod...so I made an exception.















































I can also check Roscoe's off the list. Accompanied by Eva and Kristen, we each ordered a #13 and devoured a delicious meal of waffles and fried chicken, with a side of cornbread. To make it even more special, we were joined by Lee Champion for his first ever Roscoe's visit and in true newbie fashion, had to sell the practice of eating the chicken and the waffle together in each bite! Bliss. Then heartburn. But it all comes with the bliss...



People have suggested I add the following to The LA List:





- Griffith Observatory

- Father's Office
- Getty Museum

Consider them added.

3 comments:

Kim said...

glad you're living it up! looks like a great week so far. rich and i will have to hike that trail. is one we can take the jogger on or should we opt for the baby backpack?!

f*bomb. said...

I want to go with you!
As you can say your goodbyes, I'll make the introduction. It will be pure poetry. With fried food and syrup.

catharooni said...

love the h-wood sign pic! ... somehow that never made it on my list ... i kind of like the "unattainable" part of it - so much bigger than life!!

yes, yes, the getty is a must do before you head out. take a nap on the ginormous bed in the renaissance-y area!