Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Tetris Miracle

I rented a storage bin from Door-to-Door Storage and Moving to facilitate my move to Oregon. I am not leaving Los Angeles quite yet, so the convenience of these storage pods is well, quite convenient. Essentially, they deliver the pod to your location, you load it, then they take it away. In my case, they will store it for a month, then ship it to my new apartment where they will also unload it for me! The cost is comparable to renting a U-haul truck and trailer for my car, but without the headache of driving an over-sized vehicle and towing my car up.

I was certain everything wouldn't fit in one bin, but the cost of a second bin wasn't worth the price of keeping some of my treasured belongings. The worry of being able to fit everything I found essential into the pod translated into many sleepless nights. I was certain I wasn't going to fit even half of my stuff.

Thanks to some great guys in the ward who helped move all my junk and thanks to the Tetris-like skills of Chelsea, Greg and Amy, a miracle occurred yesterday.

At roughly 4' wide, 7' tall and 8' long, those pods do not seem all that big, but with a little planning, it is amazing what you can pack into those things!

I don't know how they did it, but they got everything to fit, EVEN my beach cruiser and my beloved Siesta (Love) Sak which I just couldn't fathom parting with!












It all fit! I can't explain my overwhelming joy! All I could do was smile and bounce around.

7 comments:

Denise said...

congrats! you must feel so satisfied! then again, you musn't forget great things can happen in a uhaul!

Kaahl said...

i like your style. "Guys, I would help, but someone has to take pictures!"

Jill said...

honey, a beach cruiser in eugene? oh dear, i thought you were from the northwest. when you want to sell it, let me know and i'll have my parents come over and pick it up from you. :) wit that money you can buy a north face waterproof poncho that's bound to be all the rage for the fall-- you might even have enough left to buy some birks with wool socks.

f*bomb. said...

Mostly I love that you took pictures while everyone else moved for you.

f*bomb. said...

"Things can happen in a U-Haul," Denise?
I love that story...

Nancey said...

Mirma, who'm I gonna hang out with to escape Ryan's family when I come to Cali now? Can I go to Oregon with you? Remember Moana? She came to visit this weekend and has been telling me about living in Oregon. And my mom had a layover in Oregon a couple weeks ago and said it looks like Hawaii, only it's not hot, and no more laulau to eat, so, now I want to move there.

Kim said...

i only wish someone would have taken pictures of you bouncing around. I can just see it.

awww--you got to keep the sac!