Tuesday, July 1, 2008

LinkUp Loser's BF

Something about the internet gives people the false assumption that they can criticize and belittle complete strangers without remorse. What is it about the internet that rids the human senses of any sort of respect, propriety and courtesy?

Another friend of mine received a disturbing Op/Ed from some random LDSLinkUp lurker just a bit ago criticizing her enjoyment of, of all things, Diet Coke.

Again, just as before with my other friend, she does not know him. She has never had contact with him. His email is below and it is in regard to my friend's "Interests" section of her profile which simply says: "I LOVE to travel and I LOVE diet coke!" (Hold on to your senses, this is a gem!)

Anyone ever tell you that stuff's bad for you? The Diet Coke you say you love. You know... like maybe the prophet, or leaders of the church you belong to... or just plain old hard research?Maybe it's none of my business... but frankly I'm a bit taken back that a member... and a teacher who is supposedly educated and even athletic... aparently doesn't know any better. Do you even know what happens to Aspartame when it enters the body? Have you ever bothered to even look it up on the internet and find out? Do you ever question anything as an educator?Well in case you haven't... I'll tell you straight out. It turns into a chrystaline wood-like substance that CAN NOT be removed from the body once it is inside.Aspartame has been linked to cancer in rats, and causes MS symptoms in people with prolonged use. It's also rumored to be one of the causes of Toxic Shock syndrome that many of our military men have been sent home from Iraq for. Maybe you don't think it's any of my business what you put in your body. And maybe your right... I wonder if you say the same thing about the bretheren of the church who have warned against it for years?Just a thought...

She wrote back to defend herself. His response:

Call it what you want... it sure sounds like more rationalization to me. One diet coke a day? Who do you think you're kidding?Funny... most people (adults anyway), tend to drop a subject and ignore information that doesn't suit them. I must have really touched a nerve! Sorry if I upset you... or made you cry. I used to think that teachers were some of the coolest people on the planet... My mistake I suppose.Gotta LOVE Apathy... it's a great rationalization tool! Probably one of the best!!!You should work on not taking everything people say or write to you so seriously. That's a very unattractive quality!

This is not the complete script of the email. Other parts include that she was obviously looking for a "yes man", as in a guy who would never question or challenge her on anything. And he felt it necessary to tell her that he would tire of her after a while and wished her luck with her boring marriage.

Homeboy is delusional and an ass. Unnecessary. Unbelievable. Uncool. He sucks.

9 comments:

f*bomb. said...

Really, Diet Coke causes Toxic Shock Syndrome in our military men? Funny. I thought TSS was from tampons.
Whatev. He'll probably never know what those are for, either.

Jill said...

This one takes the cake. And I'm going to personally attack his punctuation right now. He overuses the ellipsis and uses it incorrectly. I am now going to attack him as a person. Diet Coke or cocaine, this guy has little tact. His manner of demonstrating disagreement with others' decisions is antagonistic and unattractive at so many levels. I will now attack his thought process. His reasoning is fallacious. Since when does ONE teacher drinking Diet Coke make ALL teachers "uncool"? Since when does the choice of drink define the quality of a teacher? If it does, then I am simply sludge at the bottom of the LA river because, folks, I drink tap water.

May I never cross his path, for a multiplicity of reasons.

Thanks for sharing, MOh!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

Great response all! He sucks.

Denise said...

Could you imagine being married to a guy like that? Yes he does suck but now I feel like total crap. As a pregnant person reading that who is not free of Diet Coke, it still made me feel horrible, though I hate to give him that kind of satisfaction but whatever, I may think twice from now on.

Travis Butterfield said...

wow! that. was. AWESOME!

Emily said...

Farrah took my comment! that's the first thing I thought of when I saw his TSS reference... Amazing!

f*bomb. said...

Don't worry, ladies.
Not only will this douche never see a woman naked, but he will never, ever have sex with anyone. Ever.
So don't even worry about his manners or modes of communication. Let him wither away in his cave of ignorance.

The G-Funk! said...

Hi Miriam,

I found your blog through Dana Willard's and I remember your name from the LA 1st ward when I was there back in the day (um, like 8 years ago? I guess it's been a while).

Anyways, I just couldn't help but comment. The guy said TOXIC SHOCK SYNDROME???? For the troops in Iraq? Doesn't he mean post-traumatic stress disorder? Toxic Shock Syndrome is what you get from tampons.

Loser!!!

Fun post topic.

dietcokegrrl said...

Wow.

I have so much to say...and yet nothing to say except WOW.