Friday, April 25, 2008

Lasik rocks.

Last November I got Lasik surgery and have never seen better! Of course, there were a few side effects the first couple of months after which included:

- the first night was tough and painful, but the next morning I was pain-free
- very minimal dry eye
- halos and rings during night time driving
- light sensitivity

It all wore off within a few months and I haven't seen better. It's the best thing I've done to myself.

In the last few days there has been a lot of hoop-la over the surgery and as one having had the surgery, I want to offer up my small opinion:

- 95% of people are completely satisfied post-op
- all surgical procedures have complications, and I agree, 5% is a number worthy of further investigation, but like I said, complications do arise in any procedure
- with any surgical procedure, there are risks
- lasik is not for everyone and the patient and the doctor should make an educated decision together as to whether or not the surgery is appropriate

I don't see the harm in the FDA looking into lasik and doing more research on long-term effects/potential consequences and patient eligibilty for the procedure, as it would likely be beneficial. But, I think lasik is getting a lot of unneccessary heat.

My favorite complaint was from a CNN online article. It made me laugh. Doy, dude. The decision was yours:

"Colin Dorrian was a college student when he was told he wasn't a good LASIK candidate, but went ahead anyway -- and his father, Gerald, described six years of eye pain and blurred vision before reading his son's suicide note to a Food and Drug Administration panel: "I can't and won't continue facing this horror.""

Um, you were told you were not a good candidate. Are you that surprised that you are having complications?

I have had great satisfaction with my lasik (which I got at quite the bargain) and I know lots of people who have had equal success. I only encourage people to do their research, know the risks, find a good doctor and take care of your eyes after the surgery is done.

Camping has never been more enjoyable! AND I can open my eyes in the water when I swim (before that, my contacts would have floated away)!

2 comments:

Kim said...

oh how i want lasik...haven't checked into it lately because pregnancy can change your eyes so I figure I will wait and get all the kiddos out of the way first. i can't even wear contacts so be grateful for that.

Travis Butterfield said...

cripes! I'm not ready for that. I don't like the idea of having lasers cutting my eye. no thank you. I'm a wimp when it comes to my eyes.