Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Well, if that's where He wants you to be...

So today I was bouncing around YouTube and came across some interesting videos.

I started out with this one:



I first heard this song when a friend of mine, Papo, sang it one evening while playing the piano. I love the song and I haven't heard it often, but I like it when I do get to hear it.

Then I started clicking around the "Related Videos" and found a bunch of "So-and-So reads his mission call" videos. The situation is usually the same: family and friends gathered in a living room surrounding the future missionary, someone is holding a cell phone with a friend or cousin on the other end, cameras are ready to snap and that sealed, white envelope is in-hand waiting to be opened. Watching made me nostalgic:



It reminded me of the moment I opened my mission call and watching these showed me how each "mission call opening" is very similar and very emotional.

Then I clicked on another "Related Video". In contrast to Adam's, this one made me laugh a little. Again, same setting, but this time pay attention to the reaction when Ty reads his call...



I got a tickle out of this one because if you'll notice, when Adam read his destination, everyone got all excited, cheered and even tried to challenge each other on the proper pronunciation of the location. In contrast, no one really reacted when Ty read his call...until he further announced that it was Spanish speaking! Yeah! (watch it again)

The differences in reactions gave me a little tickle. But, we all know, truly, every mission is amazing and full of new experiences no matter where you go. But how much cooler would it be to go to Spain than to Texas?! I mean, really folks! Just kidding. The Church is true everywhere, but man, Spain would be sooo cool!

5 comments:

Erika said...

For April Fools yesterday, this guy in Jen's freshman ward at BYU made up a fake mission call (all typed up and everything) and then told his roommate that his mission call had come. So, the roommate called his parents on the phone, 3-wayed with his sister who is married and opened his mission call to Provo, Utah. He was clearly disappointed but his mom said, "Well, if thats where the Lord wants you to be..."
Then, today, the REAL mission call comes in the mail (his roomie NEVER told him it was a fake!!!). Now he's going to Lima, Peru.
Apparently he was so pissed.
Can you imagine!! Its like wasting the surprise on the wrong person at the birthday party.
I think I'd punch someone.

Miriam Oh Painter said...

Well doy! Doesn't the boy know mission calls come on Wednesdays?! That is a great joke!

David Jensen said...

Miriam,
This is Dave Jensen- Long time stalker, first time poster.
Boy, I loved that first video of the song. For how short your blog has been online, I have already forwarded a couple of posts to my wife/family. There is something incidentally about a “do not fart” sign that makes me giggle like a school girl.
Keep up the good posts.

DONTSTOPRUNNING said...

Oh that's great. It's funny how all these families gather together and videotape. I got mine in the mail, went in my room, and opened it. and voila!

Denise said...

oops. that last comment was me. I guess Erik was already logged in.