Saturday, April 12, 2008

Senseless act of beauty

It was 90 degrees in Los Angeles today. Not ideal, but a nice day to be out on my bike.

Today I had no certain destination, only that I needed to log some miles. To the beach was a logical choice.

I rode up Ocean Park, a straight shot to the beach, exactly 4 miles from my apartment. It was a nice ride. The rodes weren't too busy, the sun was warm and the sky was completely clear and blue.

As I neared the beach, I rode under an abnormally long underpass. One would almost call it a tunnel, but it is likely categorized an underpass. I have driven through this "tunnel" numerous times. A mural of whales and seal life plaster one wall and hokey wild horses running through ocean waves cover the other.

This time, there was something different through this underpass. Beyond the traffic sounds, I noticed in the echo of the tunnel something beautiful. Looking across the street to the other side, there was a guy, resembling a tourist, but obviously a local. His foldable bike was leaned up against the wall and an empty violin case was open behind him. He was playing his violin and it was a beautiful.

I rode by. Then I rode by again. Then I turned around and this time I stopped to listened for a bit. (Cell phone video does no justice.)



There are no stores nor special attractions near this underpass. There is very little foot traffic through this area, if any. Other than cars, there isn't anything spectacular to look at or admire. There is nothing especially inviting or alluring about this underpass. Which is why it was so surprising to run into this guy and his violin. I am thinking he was there for the acoustics.

He was no Joshua Bell, but he was a welcome sound on my pleasant ride on a beautiful Los Angeles day.

2 comments:

dana said...

That's so great. I love finding beauty in odd spots. You're right, the acoustics must have been cool there. I'm glad you captured the moment, even if it was on a cell phone.

Travis Butterfield said...

miriam, you're awesome. thanks for sharing that moment with the rest of us.