Monday, August 4, 2008

Bigger eyes. Got 'em.

Sometimes, my irreverant side will over-simplify items of a divine nature. In my mind, for ideas that are difficult to comprehend, why give myself an aneurysm trying to make sense of a truth that is humanly incomprehensible? Instead, I choose to believe by my own volition and explain ideas to myself in terms that make sense to me.

Take for example, the Creation.

I think Gary Larson explained it best in this, one of my favorite "The Far Side" cartoons:

In these terms, understanding the creation is totally doable! He kept it simple. In my heart and by my knowledge and as well, by my observations of the world around me, I know that the creation was a complex act of God, but for my own purposes of understanding, thinking of the Creation as simply as this cartoon explains it sure makes sense to me!

On another occasion, while in church one Sunday, I was sitting in the congregation in the second row and to the right of the pulpit. A new guy was speaking, and although I can't remember what the topic of his talk was, I do remember his lips. And all I could think to myself was, "Why wouldn't God give him an upper lip?"

My train of thought lead to these other questions:
- Did God run out of upper lips that day?
- Did he forget to put one on?
- Was the upper lip department on strike?
- Was there an earthquake and this dude got sent off not quite complete?

I admit, I confused myself by over-thinking the observation, but, if one were to question such an inconsistency to the human race, most of whom have a full upper lip, these may be good questions for discussion.

As for myself, I have many questions about the way I was created, most of which I accept and embrace, though sometimes wish for otherwise. But, one physical characteristic I have not quite understood applies to my entire breed. And I ask, "Why didn't God give Asians eyelids?" Everyone else got them, so why not us? Everyone seems to need them, and we have a doable substitute, but why didn't we get an independently working lid?

The surgery to get lids is quite common in the Asian culture as seen here, even criticized by "Asian purists," but in some cases, like mine, it was a necessity rather than a vain desire.

After I found out my insurance would cover the surgery to lift my eyes, open my eyes wider, correct a droopy lid and lessen the sight obstruction of my heavy lids, I took a year to consider the procedure, then had it done on Friday.

This is what I've looked like my whole life:

Not horrible. Not bad at all really. But this is what I look like now:

Sorry to kill you with suspense, but I'm not quite ready to show them off. After the swelling goes down, I will reveal my new eyes. Apparently, I will look happier, less pissed off and my default facial expression will be more pleasant. Gee, I can't wait!

No longer will my forehead just run into my eyes over the speed bump of my eyebrows. I will have a crease that will give me that eyelid to a seemingly happier, more cheery me! And I will no longer be looking through my eyelashes! Life can be so exciting sometimes!

Now if I can just find a way to make my eyebrows even to each other.

For more info on buying eyelids, see here.

12 comments:

catharooni said...

cool! although, as an objective observer, i think you looked awesome already. (smiles). aorry i didn't get back to you about the apartment situation - i was moving this weekend, and got pretty wiped out. if you still need a sounding board or input, give me a call!!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

thank you! i can already see better!

dana said...

Wow. I'm so excited to see what you look like. I like your thoughts on creation. It's fun to wonder and wonder and speculate...
One day we might have answers. I hope.

Miriam Oh Painter said...

I see a difference, but everyone else doesn't seem to think there's much of a difference. we shall see...

f*bomb. said...

O MY GOSH.
I CAN see a difference through the glasses-
I am calling you RIGHT NOW.

Denise said...

Yeah, I just enlarged the picture and even through those glasses your eyes look HUGE!!! I am so excited to see with the sunglasses removed. You are so funny, did someone tell you that you have a pissed off look or something? Not sure what that was about but you made me laugh nonetheless.

Erica said...

i want to see the after pics!!!

the Rew Crew said...

Awesome!!

Well I'm going to tell my dad about this surgery since, you know, people have always thought he was Asian.

Can't wait for the after pics!

BTW, how was surgery?

Miriam Oh Painter said...

surgery was quick and easy. Again, the smell of burning flesh in the eyeball section wasn't so great, but it was short-lived. The valium worked wonders though, otherwise I think I would have lost it!

Jessica said...

I'm excited to see too! I didn't know the surgery was a necessity for some- glad your insurance covered it!

sarahz said...

i really hope i recongnize you. please wear a photo of your old self when i pick you up at the airport.

The Law Spot said...

Miriam! You are hilarious, girlfriend! After all these years, you still crack me up. Hey, come visit me on my new blog!