Friday, August 15, 2008

Phase 2: Complete

On August 1, I completed what I called, "Phase 1" and moved out of my apartment.

Today, I lay to rest "Phase 2" which is leaving my job. And can I just say what a harsh reality it is to have to start paying your own monthly cell phone bill again?! I expect that my conversations will be shorter, less frequent and less cordial. In other words, don't be offended if I don't answer the phone when you call or if I do answer and I'm rude to you. It's just me dealing with reality...

I never thought I would pay homage to my job, but in this case, I am choosing to because I have many good reasons to do so.

It is always entertaining to tell people how I got to where I am today in my career. I work in the financial services sector, yet I came out of college with a degree in Broadcast Journalism. No one can really put the two together and I wouldn't expect them to. Though I always let them ask me, "That's odd. How did you end up at a consulting firm?"

In short, while freelancing in reality television, I did temp work on the side for AlixPartners. Looking for something more stable and for a more pleasant work environment, I let go of the entertainment world and took advantage of the opportunity to go permanent with AlixPartners (AP) as an administrative assistant. My work assisting several upper level executives lead to client responsibilties outside of the administrative level and later, with the assistance of several of my co-workers, I moved into the professional services area of AP.

From the beginning I have only had good experiences working for AP. It has become a job I actually enjoy and find comfort in. I have always been compensated well, treated with respect, felt valued for my contributions, rewarded handsomely for my efforts and given the freedom to grow and learn in a field in which I have very little experience.

It was a leap from the beginning, and I jumped not thinking anything would come of it, but thanks to so many great people with whom I work, I now find myself confident in pursuing other endeavors that tickle my curious nerve.

In less than a month I leave the Los Angeles area to go back to school at the University of Oregon in Eugene to work on getting an MBA. For years I had put off returning to school feeling like I didn't have the resources nor the backbone to do it, but were it not for the support of a great job and amazing individuals who are my coworkers, I never would have gotten to this point, where, in the end, I am leaving them.

With sadness and a bit of regret, I leave my job and those I have come to appreciate and respect. I have made great friends and great relationships here. I will miss them all.

Before this picture was taken, Trevor (one of my Directors) was totally crying because he was sad I was leaving. But then I told an awesome joke. That's when I snapped this pic.
Even after I told the awesome joke, people were still crying. I would be crying too if I were leaving me.
I've been kicking Trevor around for years. I felt it only fair to give him one shot at me. I even faked that it hurt my feelings. Whatever makes him feel better is all that matters to me.
Marie initially took my place two years ago. Now she is leaving too. If you can't tell, she is very pregnant. The baby's name will be "Lucas". Not "Luke". "Lucas". Not "Luke". (Make a note of that.)
It would have been nice to get everyone in the picture, but once the food ran out, so did all of the people. This was the best I could do.
Thanks everyone! It's been dope.

3 comments:

Anna the Great said...

Hey Miriam!

Anna here, from your old stomping grounds at AP. I thought I'd forward the e-mail I sent to your AP e-mail address today in response to your farewell e-mail, since I think your account was turned off before you had a chance to read it!

Here it is:

Dear Miriam,

It’s been great working with you ! I did take a peek at your blog, and it’s hilarious !!! You’re a great writer – you have a razor sharp wit and a fun, quirky sense of humor – it’s a lot of fun to read about your adventures ! Especially your last day here at AlixPartners – wow, you sure got those pictures from today’s lunch up on your blog fast ! I’m glad you got a pic of all of us crying about you leaving, so you can always remember how much you’ve meant to us…! Although I do look a little chubbier in the pics than I would have liked recorded for posterity…ha ! I wish you every happiness as you move onward and upward and into your new life in Oregon as you use your smarts to pursue your MBA !! Wishing you all the best ! Take care ! Anna

dana said...

I love hearing about people's jobs. Honestly, I've always wondered what you do and now I have a clearer picture. Cool to see the people you work with.

L said...

I'm excited to hear you're going back to school. Grad school started out kind of rough (as you might remember--I was pretty stressed!), but I seriously loved it. Wouldn't trade the experiences I had for anything. Hooray for you!