Friday, August 8, 2008

'H' as in 'Jorge'?

There's a language out there I just don't speak well. Actually, there are A LOT of languages out there I don't speak well, but one that is more obscure and less recognized is what I will call the "Airline Confirmation Number" language.

Thankfully, confirmation numbers have come a long way. The numbers are shorter, there is no punctuation and that one little number has become very functional, from making check-in a cinch to checking the status of a flight.

We know the drill, say the numeral clearly and for alphas say the letter with a word to follow to clarify the 'M' from the 'N' and the 'T' from the 'P'.

Since it's not a language I speak often, when I do, I get a little bit nervous and I stumble through my words. In the past I have said:

"My confirmation number is the number 3, 'A' as in 'apple', 'P' as in 'Philip'..."

Uh, doy Miriam. How about "'P' as in 'Peter'"?

This morning I had to give my number over the phone to cancel a flight and I said:

"The number is 'M' as in Mary, 'J' as in, um, 'George', 'F' as in 'Philip', 'N' as in 'no', the number 7, and 'Z' as in 'Xylophone'."

Argh! I'm an idiot! It's so frustrating! Seriously! If it's not a common language you speak, then it isn't easy to come up with simple words to describe your letter!

And then for some reason I feel like I have to say a name, but when I can't think of a name I get all flustered and I say the first word that comes to my head. Like for 'S' I always want to say 'Shannon' but that's just not clear, so the next word to pop into my head is 'squeaky'. I've said "'V' as in, uh, 'vivacious'," before. Ugh! So embarrassing!

'J' as in 'Juan' may only work in certain parts of the world. Be careful with that one.

9 comments:

Amy said...

You made me laugh out loud!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

ha! thanks! the agents on the phone do too.

dana said...

super funny post. I've been flustered by this at times too. Sometimes I wonder if I'm saying a word that will even make sense to them. N as in "Nancy"...do they know the name Nancy in India? Is that going to throw someone off? D as in "Dog"...is that offensive to another culture?
Funny times.

Stacy said...

Hilarious, Miriam, hilarious! Can't stop laughing

Kim said...

if only i could write blog posts as entertaining as you! i'm practically crying i'm laughing so hard.

catharooni said...

yes! by far your most amusing post!! my favorite is "s" and "f" -and with a last name like mine, i am spelling it all the time.

but i will always remember "Z" as in "xylophone" ... classic!!!

Jamie said...

using this guy will make you sounds very tough, not only to phone reps, but also to cocktail party guests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

Chelsea Anne said...

Oh my word. Hysterical. Laugh-out-loud funny. I still am, actually.

stanky said...

welcome to the military alphabet- if you're anything like jared, you'll think using it all the time is super cool and you'll turn into a delta oscar romeo kilo too...

here you have it, straight from my head. And if you use it on the flight people, they'll totally think you're military--
alpha
bravo
charlie
delta
echo
foxtrot
golf
hotel
india
juliet
kilo
lima
mike
november
oscar
papa
quebec
romeo
sierra
tango
uniform
victory
whiskey
x-ray
yankee
zulu