Saturday, August 30, 2008

Moth to a Flame

A few things happen to me everytime I go to Costco:

1. I mentally prepare myself for the excursion.
2. I throw all my manners and politeness out the window.
3. I get pissed off in the parking lot.
4. I fight the urge to buy a hotdog and a churro.
5. I shyly show my Costco card to the door attendant because I'm not sure whether the person really cares to see it or not and either way, I don't want to annoy her.
6. I beeline my way to the items I need.
7. I fill up on sample food.

My Costco experiences are probably no different than anyone else's. One thing that has always kind of boggled me were the samplers. They are there to hawke their items. The items are usually not their own creation. They make no commission off the sale of what they sample. They probably have no emotional ties to the items nor are they anything invested in the product they are sampling. Yet depending on your approach to sampling, they can easily be a deterrant or simply the hand that cuts the burrito into bite-size pieces.

A little taste of anything can easily convince any consumer they need more and at Costco, that means buying in bulk quantities. And when it comes to the lure of all of the samples at Costco, I find it interesting at the behavior of those who are so eager to get their portion!

Purely from my observation, I have categorized the different types of consumer samplers:

Hawks - These are the people who hover over the sample folks for 3-minutes waiting for the Rosarito frozen burrito cooking in the microwave. The sampler lady is obviously annoyed and the Hawks are certain that there won't be enough square half-inch-sized samples for them or anyone that is waiting and passing by. Aside from a few elbows and staking a definitive stance in front of the sample table, these folks are the overly competitive types who think that if they don't get the first sample doled out in the paper cup, then no one ain't gettin' nothin'. In the end, everyone just ends up staring at the microwave as the seconds tick away until the buzzer sounds and the little old sampler lady frantically pieces apart the burning hot burrito with kitchen shears and shakey hands. All of the samples disappear within seconds, the crowd disperses and the cycle repeats.

Hobos - These are the consumer-types who, all they do, is consume. The $1.50 hotdog and soda isn't enough for these types. They need an even better deal when they go to Costco. By slowly taking in small pieces of free food product samples during their lunch hour, they can fill up and satisfy their appetite at no cost. They get a variety of food items, are able to wash it down with a trendy health or fruit drink of some sort and top off their meal with a vitamin supplement or sprig of beef jerky before exiting.

Suckers - Unfortunately for these people, they can't accept a sample without ineviteably purchasing the item. Either they are so taken by the tastey little portion that they have to have a box of 32 of the item. That or they are overcome with a guilty feeling of obligation that they end up buying the product whether they want it or not. All the while complimenting the sampler lady on how wonderful the product tastes.

Non-believers - Despite the sign that clearly states, "Please Take One" these are the folks who don't think that the samples are for them. They observe the different tables from afar and assess the situation as if they don't belong. They venture close to the samples but turn away as if they don't care or shyly smile and back away. These are the sort that learn second-hand from others whether the sample was good or not. Unfortunately, these are the folks who want the sample the most, but sadly, don't ever take one. Shame...

Hoarders - When one isn't enough, take five more. These are the people who take one then ask to take one for their wife, their daughter and their cousin. These are also the folks who take one, leave, then return two-minutes later thinking the sampler lady won't remember who they are. But they do. They always remember. They know who the hoarders are.

Kids - It's hard to a child in a sampling world. As a child you instantly lose credibility unless it's candy that is being sampled.

To sample is natural...Like a moth to a flame.

4 comments:

Erika said...

What about the hoarder-hobo-hawk combination...? We need a name for us. I mean them.

Shannon said...

Miriam, its me Shannon from a long time ago. I tried before to make a post but it didn't work for some reason. I can't believe I found you, I just had to read a couple of lines and I knew for sure it was you. I love Costco/Sam's club. I am definately a hobo/sucker.

Jamie said...

uh, this is hilariously accurate.

Dave said...

Seriously Moh. Love the posts. Sad you're leaving. Thank goodness for the blog!