Monday, September 22, 2008

Eugene Outing

Though school doesn't start until September 29 (welcome to the quarter system), I am confident in suggesting that my business program rename our two-week "Orientation" to "unofficial start of school."

In our first week, we have been deeply immersed in a crash course in the skills and attitudes that will help us throughout the next two years. I have been impressed with the instructors and the instruction we have received and have actually enjoyed the long days in the classroom. After a pretty intense week of eight-hour days (I thought I quit my job for a reason...) we finally got some time to explore.

(Thanks to all of you for donating to me the "hand in the air" pose for pictures. Despite all implications, it makes all the difference in me doing nothing or doing something in pics. For some reason, it just works.)

Just a short drive south of the University is a really big hill called Spencer's Butte. Yeah, it doesn't sound impressive, but it's a local favorite with great views of Eugene and challenging hikes.


On a clear day you can see all of Eugene from the top. On this particular day, a haze hung over Eugene. It seemed like smog, a marine layer or fog, but it was something else familiar to LA: forest fire smoke.


Eugene has been really nice, but I will admit, I am looking forward to seeing familiar faces and being with close friends next weekend when I take off for Arizona for Heather Feather's wedding...

6 comments:

Erica said...

I SO enjoy reading your blog. I'm glad you are enjoying Eugene. Have you made it to the Saturday market yet? It is such a fun place.

Miriam Oh Painter said...

Oh...people have told me about the market. I'll have to get out there!

Denise said...

I want to climb around on rocks now. We missed you last weekend, fun filled times with halmoni and hadaboji.

sarahz said...

love the new pose. i got to find me one of those. and ditto on hanging out with old friends this weekend. i can't wait!

Jill said...

um, i've taken many photos on that rock! try the night hike, you'll get lost and then laugh at yourself.

yes, go to the market. drink the "handmade" strawberry lemonade (it's stirred with the hand)

i love that you live there!

the Rew Crew said...

Are those boys part of your program or do you already have a posse to follow you around drooling? That takes some talent seeing as you have only been there a few weeks!

Good on ya!