Monday, September 15, 2008

Seattle and Dad

The weather in Seattle was in the high 80s and perfectly clear. Driving into town made me remember how beautiful my hometown can be. So, this time around I did something I don't usually do: be a tourist.

I have always wanted to go to the Ballard Locks which serves the purpose of moving boats from the fresh water level of Lake Washington and Lake Union to the sea water level of Puget Sound, and vice versa.

I had actually been through the Locks on a boat once in high school and I was totally entertained at the whole transaction. This time around, I wanted to see it from the outside-in.

This is the view going out to Puget Sound.


This is the sea level view on one side of Locks where the water level is much lower.


This is the fresh water level view of the other side of the Locks where the water is higher and the boats are waiting for the water to drain so as to enter into Puget Sound.


The boats are tied and waiting to be lowered.


After the drainage, you can see how low sea water level is! Isn't it exciting?! I think it's so cool!


Growing up, I remember drawing pictures and learning all about the salmon spawning cycle. It's crazy that it's still interesting to me! This is the fish ladder for salmon. So great!


Then I headed to my second favorite spot in Seattle where I think you get the best views. Gas Works Park is right off Lake Union and it is a prime spot for kite-flying, watching a regata, having a picnic or playing with the kids.


The park used to be the site of an old oil refinery in the early 1900s. It's at a beautiful location and is full of character.



You just can't beat the views.


In the Fremont area, if you turn up the wrong street, you might be startled to find this Troll staring you down. The Fremont Troll is a well-hidden piece of Seattle art. It's fun to look at.

He clutches an old VW bug and his eyeball is actually a VW bug hubcap. Super cool...


Then I went to my favorite place in Seattle. Greenlake. Where I grew up. Where I swam all through the summers and came to love as my favorite 3.1 mile run.


I swam at either two spots: here at the Bathhouse Theater, or on the other side of the lake at Evan's. The lake was gross and could give you good itches, but it was the best part of summer.


On the weekends, this kiddie pool is filled with about 1.5 feet of water. Every kid in Seattle has pee'd here.

After spending a good day by myself, I wanted to get out and share it with my dad. My mom has been in Korea for the last week and my dad has been kickin' it by his lonesome. On a trek to find a Seattle souvenir shop, which actually turned out to be quite a task, my dad and I ended up the Seattle Center and he was such a good sport in modeling for me!






I learned to love Seattle all over again. It's beautiful in the summers and I will admit, though the contstant moisture can be a nuisance, it is peaceful when it rains.

10 comments:

catharooni said...

ok. that pic of yer dad holding the cotton candy ROCKS!! he looks so adorable holding what i KNOW to be YOUR treat ... way to be touristy! i am doing the same here in edmonton. i was planning events every month to see some cool edmonton sites and will get back to it once i can walk again! a la dorothy - there is no place like home!

Nancey said...

I agree with cath, your dad is so adorable! Now I see where the Miriam cuteness comes from.

Kim said...

cath stole my comment...i love the cotton candy picture too! It's so classic i could almost print it and hang it on my fridge just because.

looks like it was a good visit and may i just add, i want to grow up by that lake!!

Jamie said...

mmm, cotton candy...

Denise said...

such cute pics of your dad. what a good sport he was, I'm sure he loved having you in town. I really want to live there, for a season of life anyway...

Shannon said...

I love Seattle. It takes living somewhere else to fully appreciate how cool Seattle is. Everytime I go home I try to do at least 1 touristy thing, it looks like you did lots. I remember hanging out with you down at gasworks looking out over the lake. That was a long time ago!!! I love your blogs, your the same Miriam.

Emily said...

I was just in Seattle yesterday - it's so lovely! I am contemplating the move there...

Erika said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures of home.
I'd forgotten about that troll until I saw it again... good memories.
I love your dad!

the Rew Crew said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! We loved the Locks as kids and would go there all the time.

Such a great city...

jd said...

LOVE the photos of your dad, so much... that one with the space needle, pure art... and like others, I esp. love the one with the cotton candy!! hah! SOOO great!

we miss you!