Monday, September 29, 2008

Lifelong criminal

In continuing with my environmental misdeeds I hate to admit that I may have committed another crime.

(I reiterate that I do my best to conserve and respect the environment where possible but compared to the ideal around here, I don't think I'm performing up to par.)

I find that Oregon's feel good efforts at environmental consciousness are everywhere. Case in point, in the bathroom of the Portland Airport today, I found this little instruction panel on the back of the stall door staring me in the face.


It may as well have said, "This is how you flush you water-waster". It is overkill. I appreciate the efforts, and I was impressed at first but then I thought, this is a bit much. Telling me how to flush my crap?

And really, I don't think the execution of this whole "re-invent the flush" campaign was done effectively. If you think about it, the natural flush motion is down. How many people will actually make the conscious effort to flush up for "1" and down for "2"? I would guess that most people go "1" more than they would "2" in a public bathroom and would just naturally flush down as is customary. To be most effective, the motions should be switched.

And to add, flushing up means rubbing the top of your shoe on the bottom of dingey handle and if you're wearing flip-flops, that's a no-go.

And why so mysterious? Why not just be straight up and to the point? 1? 2? and then a parenthetical explanation? Speak English folks. Just say it is like it is. If you're going to use allusions such as #1 and #2, may as well just say "pee" and "poop" because that's what they mean.




'Nuff said.

3 comments:

Emily said...

awesome, i think you may be one of my new heroes!

Jill said...

i'll have to disagree here, moh. i love this concept. well, i love the flush options. i do agree that they should just call it what it is, though. the first time i saw it, i laughed. and then i thought "that's so oregonian."

did you also notice that the handle as some special junk on it to cut down on the transferring of germs? it's hilarious.

Jessica said...

I too was surprised to find this technology when visiting Oregon airport bathrooms. But you should see the ones in Chicago. I report on it here:

http://theworldaccordingtopixie.blogspot.com/2008/10/two-discoveries-best-and-worst.html

:)