Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Phase III: Complete. Change is Good.

Phase III: Move to Oregon - Complete.

The drive in from Los Angeles was nice. Rachel and I finished much quicker than anticipated and actually enjoyed the drive up.

Most of the drive through Northern California was pretty barren, mostly agricultural land and thanks to my GPS, we knew exactly where we were at all times.

Alredy, I am settling in nicely. I feel much more relaxed. I feel like life has slowed down quite a bit. The overall feeling of busy-ness and the LA rush I am so used to is fading quickly. Though I expect things will start to speed up again once school starts, I am enjoying this mental break while I can.

Now that I am living in a totally new place, I can't help but compare the way my life used to be and how it is now. For example:

- I paid $3.77 for Premium Unleaded yesterday and I didn't even have to pump it myself.

- I have done six loads of laundry in the last two days I have been here and I haven't had to share the machines with no one. Unlike my old apartment where Mr. Tube Socks Man and his sidekick Tube Socks Junior were always hogging the two machines we had, I have my one machine all to myself and I don't have to scrounge for quarters, run up and down three floors of stairs and when it's all said and done, I haven't had to wonder why my clothes just don't seem so clean.

- Walmart and Target were well-stocked and clean. There was practically no one in each store and the parking lot was an easy in and out.

- I hit about five destinations yesterday while running errands and I didn't get angry or frustrated once and zipping around town was a cinch.

There are definite differences, of course. And I am enjoying the change.

My apartment is nice and spacious and I feel comfortable and at home. I have been very busy trying to get settled in and buying the smallest of necessities, such as hand soap and lightbulbs. I received a friendly invitation from Jill Newell's brother who lives in Eugene to have dinner with his family and the missionaries tonight. I haven't really interacted with anyone but folks over the phone so I am definitely looking forward to dinner!

It is still hard to believe that after so many years of being "one foot in, one foot out" in LA, I am actually now in a new place. I feel so at peace that I can't help but wonder if I should have done this years ago...

I do wish I had friends and family closer. Especially to help me decorate my cute apartment and tell me where to put my bookcase and my desk. Grrr...

I had an awesome send-off party care of Eva and KJ, Inc. and I couldn't have asked for better food, better lighting, better cupcakes and better folks!














9 comments:

dana said...

I'm so glad you're enjoy the peace and quiet already. There are so many days I'm ready to leave LA. I just have to tell myself....8 more months. I can do it. We'll leave.

dana said...

enjoyING

catharooni said...

so happy for you and your peacefullness ... i hear ya sistah!! i never knew i was too stressed in LA until i was peacefully settled in edmonton. now i just need to get my own place (with covered parking) and life will be perfect!!

i can hardly wait to see you and discover where you put the bookshelves, etc ... HUGS!

Erik Isakson said...

Wow, looks like a fun party w/ lots of cool peeps. Welcome to Oregon!

Jamie said...

easy access to target and walmart, peaceful running of errands, full service gas...

bragger.

Miriam Oh Painter said...

yup. neener, neener.

Allison Hansen said...

So proud of you!

Stacy said...

glad you are settling in....but you are missed already!

Kim said...

MOH--the laid back life--sounds so good! enjoy it while you can. Glad you arrived safe and sound. The party was fun, you're missed already!