Tuesday, June 3, 2008

LinkUp Loser

So, in the single world, there are several venues of concocted communication where singles can meet each other. The conventional methods of Meet and Ask Out are outdated. Now, the meeting occurs over the internet and the asking out transpires usually only after a few gazillion chit-chatty emails.

In the single Mormon world, of which I belong, there are several online networking, dating and meeting services that are mostly free. The first one I joined several years back was the infamous LDSLinkup.

It is toted as a networking site for Mormons, kind of like Friendster and Facebook. It is not really a full-fledged dating site such as eHarmony.com, Match.com or LDSSingles.com, but it has managed to evolve into a meat market of sorts. Many of my friends signed on to the site and ever since my membership, it's been a mix of sheer entertainment, total annoyance and utter confusion.

There are all types on the LinkUp and you never really know who you will meet, but in all the years I have been on it, I have never run into anyone as insolent as this character.

A friend of mine, whom many of you probably know, met this individual, we'll call him Dick, at church one day. For the past week or so they have had continuing communication over the LinkUp. He seemed charming and interested, and she was the same in return. After a few email exchanges, he asked her why an amazing girl such as herself wasn't married. She gave him her answer which was pretty much, it's not like I don't want to be married, I just haven't met the right guy yet and in the meantime, I am living my life to its fullest. Then came his response which I have attached below. Please note, he does not know her well and he has never met any of her friends. All he knows about her is information gleened from their few moments meeting each other, their short email exchange and LinkUp profile.

(Note: Don't be surprised if you are overwhelmingly infuriated as you read his email to her. Also, names have been changed to protect the absolutely fabulous.)

Sheila,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but visitng the ward you were in several times, I always got the feeling that a lot of people in it are just "playing": a lot in life and not seriously going after something....I mean, seriously, you have travled a lot and had a lot of fun times with your friends, because you didn't really want to be married and stuck with kids.... which isn't a bad thing....butcan't you honestly say that because you lived your life a certain way, you avoided marriage???
When you say you are working towards marriage...what does that really mean??? I mean Sheila, seriously, you don't want to be 40 someday and then just marry the next guy that comes along because he is lds and temple worthy ....just so you can be married becuase you are tired of being single..... Seriously, why is an attractive girl who has a good job and a normal personality not married? Is it because you enjoy being with you non married girlfriends and traveling? the freedoms??
You can make your own decisions in life....but I am really curious to know .....

Like take Mandy for example, there's no reason she's not married except that she chose not to be. She's very attractive, has a great personality, but she chose a job away for years and she likes to travel a lot.....that takes away from the time you would work on dating and finding a quality person to share your life with if you really wanted that in life. I seriously hope everyone dates for a year before getting married...... but if all you want to do is "play",,, you'll still be living the single life.

I've been enagaged twice in life, I've dated a lot....but I have also avoided trajedies and being married unhappily.....

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you......

So, there you go. Wisdom from a total jackass loser.


I don't consider myself bitter. This is not a man-hater web blitz. This is me venting my frustration about an individual that is making asinine commentary on a subject he knows nothing about and about good people who does not know.

And the fact that he is boasting about being engaged twice but patting himself on the back for dodging marriage both times is nothing for him to bragging about.

Anger engulfs me.

Email me for his LinkUp screen name and you can all have at him.

10 comments:

Kim said...

looks as though this lovely fella will never get past the engagement! hallelujah that she found out early on what a sucker he is! :<

Denise said...

Once again....sigh....I am so sorry you have to be involved in that bizarre world of single Mormons. Why do some of them have to be so strange? I think the biggest problem is there are so many amazing normal girls and a lot of weird dudes. Go convert someone!

the Rew Crew said...

I vote for a man-hater web blitz!

Come on girls, you know you want one.

catharooni said...

why does this not surprise me?? heaven forbid a single woman try to put a positive spin on not yet finding an eternal companion ...

she should have been honest and said: "well, i am single because all i seem to meet are men who are gay, jerks, taken or who have commitment issues - or some combination of all of the above" ...

now THAT would have produced an entertaining response ...

i just have to ask - do i know any of the parties involved???

f*bomb. said...

I mostly just want his phone number so I can ask him out.
WINNER.

Erika said...

I'm with Sarah...web blitz!
Does he think he can win her over with his commentary? What was the purpose of that email?

Jill said...

I am so glad that he has revealed to me why I'm not married...he just hit that nail right on the head.

I'm going to quit my job tomorrow, stop traveling ANYWHERE, and get myself married immediately.

Goodness, what was I thinking? Thank you, Dr. Dick for solving my quandary.

kelly said...

seriously? this is real? he sounds like a loon!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

This is all for real. my friend gave a very nice and kind response. Not like anything I would have retorted with. And he actually responded apologetically. But, that does not excuse his idiocy. Shame on him for being so judgemental and assumptive.

dietcokegrrl said...

WHHHAAAA?? Noooooo!

What a jack-hole (my fake swear word I stole from Kevin and Bean).

And yeah, I love how he throws in that he was engaged twice. Those girls certainly came out winners on THAT one!