Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I-L

I am in love with my car. I have loved it since the moment I bought it. It has always treated me right. I've driven it to NV, AZ, UT, OR, WA, and all over California and not once have had to do much more than change the oil. It's a beautiful machine.

On Monday, I hit 100,000 miles, always noteworthy. It seems like only yesterday that I bought the car and mileage was just at 58,000. Yeah, it was a lot of miles for a used car, but I didn't care, it was the car's potential that hooked me. It was in beautiful condition and it just spoke to me. Literally. It was like "Miriam. You my girl. Buy me." So I did.


I know, this is kind of a stupid post. I mean, really, I'm worshiping my car. But here's the thing, I am pretty sure that when I go to heaven, I'll be able to take my car with me. Though very much irreverent, this is how I envision it happening: I'll be on my merry way up to heaven and just as I'm about to pass through heaven's security, god is going to look at me lovingly and say, "Miriam, your amazingness has long amazed me. You have exceeded my expectations. For that, I give you the privilege to return and retrieve one material item of your liking to bring with you. Actually, make that two items. Go. Bring."

If that would be the case, I would grab my car and of course, my yellow blanket. Not necessarily in any order, but rather, both equally at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to happen. I love my car. It's my baby.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I understand you, completely! I love my car, too. It's as if he and I were meant to be together. I never felt at home in my other car, but with him we just "fit".

However, the cross-country trip was a bit hard on him and so I bought him a new fuel pump in KY.

Since I ride the bus to work now, I am always so excited to drive him in the AM when I go to the gym, it's our quality time together. In fact, I'm going to give him a nice wash and vacuum today. :) And 58K isn't too bad for a used car. Ok, I'll shut it now, but I soooooooo know what you mean!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

Totally! at school I rarely got to drive it. But when I did, it was such a treat!

f*bomb. said...

Mostly I love that your version of God talks like Mr Miyagi.

Heather & James said...

Your car is still a Californian at heart yeah? No Oregon plates? And your God is Asian. Gotta love Miriam (and her car). And i was glad to hear the shout out for your blankey.

catharooni said...

having just paid off my car about 6 weeks ago, i am in touch with the deep love one can have for a car (mine has also been to NV, AZ, UT, and all over california ... plus ID, MT, and Alberta, Canada).

oh yeah, and mine also still has cali plates ... almost a year expired - GAH!