Thursday, July 16, 2009

Run with me.

Let's go for a run!

Since moving to San Diego for the summer, a certain route has become my regular run. My sister, Rachel introduced me to the trails of Torrey Pines State Park which is just about 3-miles away from where I'm staying in Del Mar. It's a beautiful route on easy terrain, so much, that I want everyone to come with me!

So come on folks as I take you on a tour of "Miriam's San Diego Run Route"!

I took my camera on my last workout to make sure to capture the route as if you were there with me. This is the initial view of Torrey Pines State Beach and it is quite amazing as you turn onto PCH.

Just to give you an idea of where we are running, the red line indicates our route. It starts up a steep hill to the east, disappears into the cliffs then pops us out onto the beach. It's breathtaking.

Parking is a hassle and the art and patience of "hovering" in waiting for an open spot comes in handy here. Those willing to brave the crowd will just pull up and jockey for a spot, waiting for someone to leave. It's not usually a long wait, but it can test your patience. As opposed to paying the parking fee or parking on the other side of the tracks makes the wait worth the effort.

From parking, we start along the beach.

After entering the park, it's a quick turn away from the beach.

And we start our ascent into the hills.

It's a pretty steep climb, a little less than a mile is my guess, but it's a good challenge to try to make it to the top without stopping.

This is a look backwards at what's behind us.

And the climb only continues.

From bottom to top, there are about 4 or 5 good turns and it's tough climb but great for the legs!

Once we get to the top, it just gets better.

Looking inland to the east, we get this great view of San Diego and the Carmel Valley.

Looking back to the ocean, we take the trail to the left of the sign. Along the trail, when in doubt, stay left and follow the signs to the "Beach Trail" and "Flat Rock".

A short hike in and the views are awesome.

And they just keep coming.

Running along the trail.

A few switchbacks, but going downhill ain't too rough.

This is the Pointe that can be hiked to.

The views only get better.

Continuing on the trail.

Doot doo doo. It actually makes running pleasant!

Getting closer to the beach, the scenery changes a bit.

If you want to head down to the beach, don't go this way. Turn right instead.

Take the little trail between the sandstone.

And get your first peek at the ocean.

Everytime I go down these steps, I always think to myself, "Someone should really get out here with a broom and clear off all of this sand." I don't know why I think it, but I just do.

After you come down these stairs, it's just a whole lot of cliffs and vibrant colors in all directions.

A run back down the beach and we are done. It's about 3-miles, and a site to be seen the entire way.

Thanks for running with me! I hope you get to enjoy it yourself one of these days. If you're looking for a fun place to play or scenic beach to stroll, I recommend this one.

8 comments:

Kim said...

i love torrey pines.

i need to get down to my aunt's house and meet up with you before you go.

i certainly won't be running that with you though---not even certain i could walk it right now.

Courtney said...

If you like Torrey Pines Beach, you should also check out La Jolla Cove. I'm not sure about the running trail situation, but the scenery there is absolutely breathtaking!

Travis Butterfield said...

dagnabit. you have just made me extremely jealous. I'm so sick of the blistering heat of Phoenix. San Diego looks like heaven to me. What a beautiful place!!! I'm completely amazed. I wish I could go running on that route. It looks really fun.

the Rew Crew said...

Way to make me jealous!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

It is good times. Thanks for the suggestions and it's ok if you're a little bit jealous. It is pretty amazing scenery.

Unknown said...

yes please

catharooni said...

i second la jolla cove - and if you would take me on a similar run there, i wouldn't object. this is exactly the kinds of exercise i like best.

f*bomb. said...

Holy crap. Three miles? It looks more like 24. Are you sure that route doesn't just take you straight to Mexico?