Friday, July 31, 2009

"Death by Fan" Innocent Bystander

As a follow-up to my "Death by Fan" blog post:

I am in Seattle now. I flew up here Thursday morning for a friend's wedding this weekend. It's been super hot here and with a shortage of fans in the area, my sister and I thought it would be a good idea if I brought a couple of fans up from California with me. Although I won't be giving details of the toil and labor of transporting two fans to Seattle, I will say that it was a miserable experience and unfortunately, it proved to be somewhat of a futile effort.

That night, as I slept with a fan directly on me, I woke up twice during the to find my fan turned off. Each time I would turn it on again, until the third time when I woke up to find my mom discreetly switching the fan off.

Me: Mom! What are you doing?!
Mom: I turn off fan.
Me: Why are you doing that? It's hot! I want it on!
Mom: Okay. Sorry. But danger.
Me: It's not danger!

All that work to bring in fans, and my mom ends up hardly even using them! So annoying.

I mentioned the whole "Death by Fan" urban legend to Denise and the fact that my mom kept turning off my fan during the night and she was like, "No wonder Mia and Kimball's fan was always off when they woke up. They were so hot and sweaty."

Argh! Stupid superstition!

2 comments:

catharooni said...

love it, love it, love it!! yer familia rocks!!

Kaahl said...

umm, so on my mission, an elder's apartment burned down because he left the fan on while he was gone. that's legit, i guess. but, of course, we would keep those fans running for several months at a time.