Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wrapped Up Like a Douche?

I have had it. I hear the song. I sing the words. I giggle along. But no more.

Just last week, I was in the car with Kyle and I found myself happily singing along to Bruce Springsteen's "Blinded By the Light" when I of course realized what I was saying, or rather, what I thought The Boss was saying. But those days are over. Bruce don't talk that way. Thanks to the conveniences of the internet, I will now dispel the myth of what is thought to be "wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night" or whatever your similar interpretation is.

Disclaimer: I am about to clearly state the true verbiage of the lyrics of this so oft misinterpreted lyric. For those of you who enjoy the fun of such an absurd use of language, cover your eyes or read no more.

The correct lyric of this infamous song is this: Revved up like a deuce another another runner in the night.

Phew! If you say it loud enough and really enunciate, you can actually hear Bruce singing those very words. No douches here...

What I find really entertaining were all of the different interpretations of the lyric. Thanks to www.urbandictionary.com, it is quite surprising what people tend to hear. (I did my best to keep this list clean by eliminating the semi-inappropriate phrases.)

Wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night
Wrapped up like a douche, you know the ruler in the night
Wrapped up like a douche, in the middle of the night
Wrapped up like a douche, an utter rotor in the night
wrapped up like a douche, you know the rotor in the night
wrapped up like a douche, another rumor in the night
Wrapped up like a douche, a little odor in the night
Wrapped up like a douche, a bad odor in the night.
Wrapped up like a douche, and a stoner in the night
Wrapped up like a douche, spitting in the night
Wrapped up like a douche, another mother in the night
Wrapped up like a douche, you know a runnin' in the night
Wrapped up like a douchebag, for the Roman in the night
Revved up like a douche, another loaner in the night
Racked up like a douche, ya gonna run around the night
Ripped off like a douche, another owner in the night
cracked up like a douching, and a roamer in the night
Ripped up like a douche, into the rotor of the night
Turning loose like a douche, like the roadrunner tonight
Ripped up like a douche until he rolled her in the night
Rev up like a douche and go a roller in the night
Wrapped up my big douche, killed a runner last night
Woke up like a douche, you know i rolled her in the night
Wake up with a douche in the middle of the night
Woke up like a douche-bag in the middle of the night
Swept up like a douche with motorola in the night
Red duck like a douchebag and discarded in the night
revved up my big Dodge and did a runner with his wife
Caught up at the juice bar in the middle of the night
Revved up like a Roto-Rooter rollin' in the night
With a dildo in my face and cheese wheel in my butt
Rap duck like a Goose and Have a lunar in the night
Look up to the north and see big dipper to the right
Eyes were shot out by a laser in a fight
Wracked up like a duece, another runner in the night
wrapped up like a deuce you know the roamer in the night
Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
Dressed up like a dude, another runner in the night
Sucked up by the juice, you know the runner in the night
Dressed up like a duece, a ruler of the night
Revved up like a deuce, another rover in the night
Set it up like a deuce and they rolled it in the night
Wrapped up like an edition of the ruler in the night
Sucked up by the juice, you know the runner in the night
Held up like a loofah by the foreman of the night
Caught up in the noose thats swinging in the night
wrapped up like a do chin in the middle of the night
shot loose like a goose, another runner in the night
Wrapped up like a duke in the ordinary night
Dressed up like a duke, another rumor in the night
hung up like a goose, another runner in the night
Racked up like hooter, in the middle of the night
racked up like a deuce in a momentary flight
rabbit wants some juice, like a donut in the night
messed up like a demon that was roaming in the night
Dressed up like a dude, you know, the roamer in the night
Set up like a loser only come back wearin tights
Racked up like a moose, that's been run over in the night
Wrapped up like a dude, sha na na, reuben in delight
Wrapped up like ol' tuscon on a rubber-ended night
Cut loose like a goose, another roamer in the night
Wrapped up , la la la, she was a loner in the night
Wracked up by the goosin' and the runner in the night
Revved up with the juice, another router in the night
Wrapped up like a deuce ya know the roter in the night
Wrecked up like a goose, in the middle of the night
Took off like the Juice, another runner in the night
Wrapped up like a deuce, another roller in the night
Throw up blah blah blah in the middle of the night
Revved up like a dude, she ain't no rover in the night
Cut loose like a goose from the spirit of the night
Wrapped up like a deuce, a holy roller in the night
Rapping like the duke, you know, the rumor in the night
Wake up like a dachshund in the middle of the night

Should you have your own interpretation, do share.

Sorry to ruin the song for any of you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm still going to say douche.

catharooni said...

i'm with eva. but i will only say it in my head.

Travis Butterfield said...

Your post really surprised me, because I had never heard the Bruce Springsteen version of the song, and my first reaction was "That's not a Springsteen song!" The popular version that everyone knows is actually by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Upon doing a little research I found out that they actually changed the lyrics to be "revved up like a deuce," whereas the original Springsteen version says "cut loose like a deuce." Just a little trivia for you. You should check out the original Springsteen version, if you've never heard it. It's different. Or, vice versa. Check out Manfred Mann's version if you only know the Springsteen version. I like to compare different versions of the same song. It's kind of fun. Thanks for opening my eyes to the original version of this song!

Mission Man said...

Listen - you "myth dispellers" can tell me what the "correct" lyrics are as many times as you want. You can point them out to me on the album booklet, if such things exist anymore. But it's no misinterpretation, because what Manfred Mann is ACTUALLY SINGING is "douche." The fact that Bruce sings "deuce" is irrelevant . I'm not going to believe you instead of my own ears.

Carissa said...

With a dildo in my face and cheese wheel in my butt? haha. That one is so random.

I was at a waterpark the other day and I heard this song, but of course there were people all around and children screaming and I couldn't exactly hear what it was saying, but I swore it was something about waking up like a douche in the middle of the night. So I had to look it up.